Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Two weeks later...

Once again, I have failed miserably in keeping my blog frequently updated. So, what's new? ;)

Anyways, so...what's been happening since I last wrote two weeks ago...hmmm...Well, for one, I attended the Singapore Students Association of Victoria (SSAV) Ball two Saturdays ago (the 7th, I think). It was held at the Grand Ballroom of Hilton on the Park. It was alright, I guess, though the games were a trifle too long, which left the rest of us non-contestants rather bored. Won a prize in the lucky draw, though: a voucher of "Made in Australia" goods. Whoopee...Left it at Evelyn's place, figuring her mum would make better use of the stuff than I would. Also got a rather nasty shock: Their door gifts were little bottles of sweets from Suga, which were the very same things we were using for Multicultural Night on the 13th. Oh well.

Anyhoo, a week later, on the 13th of August (last Friday), we had the Monash Multicultural Night. This was the event for which the seven of us in the committee had been planning since April. Unfortunately, besides running logistics for that night, I also had two submissions for my second and third year design projects on Monday.

Thursday night was spent at the computer lab with Joe and Ryan trying to finish up the Solid Edge 3D model of the Front End Loader we were working on. Well actually, I was trying to finish up the model; they were pretty much there to keep me company. ;) Thankfully, managed to wrap things up just before the labs closed at midnight, then went home and started working on my third year design submission. For this project, we were to design a racer to compete in the Formula SAE competition, and I was in charge of cooling. Managed to finish up on the 3D models of my preliminary design and dragged my self into bed at 8am on Friday.

Woke up at 1230. First thought: "Oh crap, I'm late!" jumped out of bed, washed up, changed, ran out of the house with my bag and down to the bus stop. Stopped by Busy Bee Florist to see if I could get a corsage, but the lady said she could only get it ready by 4pm. Dang it. Called a cab and rode into the city. Nearly 40 bucks. Fudge. Ran to Myer. Picked up a black shirt with a silver tie, to match Evelyn's black dress. Another (almost) 40 bucks. Grife. Picked up $80 worth of vouchers for the games prizes. *sigh, at least I'll get the money back...eventually* Ran down to the town hall florists. "Sorry, we don't do corsages." Argh. Bought a bouquet of roses instead. Ran up to Evelyn's place. Evelyn already home. Quickly showered and got into suit. Called Janelle, arranged to meet in front of Nike Melbourne. Ran down to Nike Melbourne, in suit. Hot. Picked up flowers from town hall. Got into cab and got to Carlton Crest Hotel at around 1630.

Well, thankfully the decorators, Elegant Occasions were already on the scene, setting up. The hotel staff were also busy arranging the tables and setting up the stage and dance floor, while the AV company, Staging Connections, were connecting up the speakers and lighting. Phew. Everything was running pretty smoothly, till my DJ, Adel, got stuck in traffic. Thankfully, he arrived at nearly 7 and we managed to set up in time for the 1915 door opening. The night was pretty much a blur of running around making sure everything was going smoothly. The highlight of the night was quite undoubtedly the Fire Performance, which IMHO was well worth the money. The fourth act, a dance routine, nearly gave me a heart attack when their CD-R wouldn't play in the DJ's console. Thankfully, we managed to play it from another CD deck and everything came to a sweet finish. Kudos to Janelle for a job very well done as Dinner and Events Coordinator, as well as the two MCs, Shah and Angela. Many boos to Charmaine who was lucky enough to win TWICE in the lucky draws! ;) And good going! to the guy in the purple shirt who was puking in the men's, whose puke was more purple than his shirt! :P Luckily, the hotel staff said they'd clean it up and Logistics didn't have to. (Phew!)

Well, after the whole affair, we all headed over to The Loft for the after-party. We tried to get Wangwei's friend in, but the bouncer wouldn't let us. In all honesty, it's not that we didn't try, but come on, he was in t-shirt and sneakers. Anyway, after partying for a while and getting a little high on red wine (at the ball) and scotch (at The Loft), Wayne and his date, Stacey, and Evelyn and I headed off to Cece for some karaoke. Not a good move. We reached there at around 3am, but they closed at 4, and the minimum bill was $200. So, we ended up calling many drinks and I ended up getting pretty drunk after losing multiple games at the end. Oh yeah, Chan and Joanne met us there, and they very nicely drove my drunk body back to Evelyn's place.

Saturday was pretty much spent rehabilitating from my drunken stupor. Went to Big W to get Evelyn's film developed and found out they were selling Futurama at less than half price. Bought Season one, and am seriously considering whether I should go back before the sale ends on Friday and getting the rest. Also watched White Chicks, which is pretty hilarious and you should check it out if you haven't.

Woke up pretty pissed on Sunday. Took the train back to Clayton, but fell asleep and landed up in Dandenong. Not only did I have to wait half an hour for a return train, but I ended up waiting another half hour for a bus to uni. Reached uni and met up with my second year design team: Ryan, Joe, Panha, Sovan and Brian. We were there because the calculations had not been finished, which was what I was pretty pissed about. Spent the rest of the afternoon working on the calculations and force diagrams, then Panha, Sovan and Brian left because, apparently, they had a computing assignment to finish. This pissed me even more, since they were the ones who were supposed to do the calculations in the first place.

I mean, seriously. I took the time to create the entire 3D model from scratch, even though I also had my third year submission and my logistics role in the ball to handle at the same time. So why couldn't they have frickin' gone and done the damned calculations instead of dragging me down to uni on a Sunday?

Anyway, went to Wah Kee down in Clayton town for dinner, then came back up to the computer labs in uni and continued working till they closed. Seeing as we hadn't finished yet, Joe, Ryan and I went back to my place and continued working on my laptop. Unfortunately, there was only one laptop and three of us, and after a while (around 2am), Ryan decided to leave. Joe left at around 4+, and I kept working at the powerpoint report till about 7. I dunno what's wrong with me. Maybe I'm just easy to bully or something, but why am I always the one staying up till who knows what time to finish a group assignment? Anyways, met Evelyn at the computer labs at around 0820, and sent the report in by email just in time for the 9am submission.

Overall, I was pretty pissed off about the whole affair, and am firmly reinforced in my loathing of group work. Grr...